There are a lot of similarities and differences between shared hosting and cloud hosting. But it’s a stage where you find out the best sense which suits your budget plan and requirement of work. Both hosting servers work on the basics of web hosting functions but through completely different processes.
Basically, Hosting means “to be serving as a host”
In term of a digital platform, hosting is a type of web server which allocates resources of storage on a server. The hosting service provider companies make it assure you that your website to be accessed by everyone on the web. All website which we have ever seen or visited on the internet they are all armed with web hosting servers. This hosting service provides a space that you buy on the physical server to store all your necessary data and files for your websites.
There are four main types of hosting which provide spaces on the physical server.
- Shared Hosting
- VPS / Cloud Hosting
- Dedicated Hosting
All types of hosting have their own features and characteristics which make them unique from one another. Selecting the best fit for your website depends on a number of features including performance demands, security conditions, cost affordability, scalability requirements, and server administration preferences.
Dedicated server hosting is the highest solution for suitable websites with huge traffic. While Shared and Cloud/VPS hosting services are considered good for entry to medium traffic websites. Thanks to BloggingSilo for sharing this nice article related to Shared Hosting in comparison with Cloud Hosting only.
What is Shared hosting?
Shared hosting is a type of hosting where multiple users utilize the resources on a single server (disk space, RAM, storage, bandwidth, and databases, etc.) In this type of hosting service, the host divided a single server between many clients. However, website owners won’t know who or which websites or domains will be sharing their hosting server with them on a shared hosting platform.
Assuming like a playground in a university, Access to key resources, such as where every student uses the same ground for playing a number of games.
How it is work?
A shared hosting server can host multiple users at a single time. Each user gets a partition of the server in which they can host their website’s data or files.
There are plenty of factors that we considered important while choosing a shared hosting platform.
- Your monthly budget plan
- The capacity of daily traffic on your website
- Estimated traffic
- Supports and Security requirements
- Ideal for Limited Traffic: This type of hosting is ideal for projects because it allows limited traffic and won’t utilize a lot of resources.
- Cost-Effective: Shared hosting is the most cost-effective hosting platform because you are renting just a small portion of a server. Besides, it is considered the best affordable choice for small businesses.
- Bandwidth performance: In shared hosting, the bandwidth performance will depend upon the number of domains on their server. It also varies how many resources consume by each individual. Sometimes the customer on a shared platform gets a sudden spike in traffic. Luckily at the same time, other websites on the same server are not being productive, so they pick some resources from other walls on the same server and can be allocated to handle the extra visitors.
- Easy to manage: The users in shared hosting also enjoy easy management with low maintenance cost because they are free from server management responsibilities. The hosting provider company must take care of all technical responsibilities. You don’t need to concern yourself with technical bugs of the server.
- Number of domains: You can easily host multiple websites within it. Suppose if one person runs a small business and have multiple domains for their personal websites they can easily handle all website on shared hosting server.
- Limited Scalability: Scalability is the configuration of upgrades and enlarges your resource level. It varies to the growth of your website. In a shared hosting platform, it differs from companies to companies, mostly providers offer several plans and choices with additional resources under the Shared Hosting blanket.
- Security Gaps: Sharing your all resources on a shared hosting platform including CPU, RAM, disk space, or databases is not always great credibility. Sometimes a bad server fellow neighbor can resist your resources or leave security vulnerabilities.
- More Risk: Possibly your stored data might be at risk if your fellow domain users make a mistake because the entire users on shared hosting rely on the same security practices. However, now some good companies are practicing account isolation techniques in a shared environment.
- Low performance: The performance on shared hosting is slow as compared to other hosting options because a shared hosting server can host multiple users in a single platform. At the same time, it can also share its resources with a lot of other websites.
- Lack of Control: Shared hosting users have a lack of control over the admin and managing sector. For example, Cloud and Dedicated server mostly provide operating system-level access.
- Uptime reliability: Sharing your server means that your website could go down any minute as some resource-eating website may affect your website resources.
- Malicious Act: Any malicious act which grieves on the hosting server will also affect the entire network of websites using the same server.
- Limited customization: In shared hosting, they provide limited customization because it offers fixed resources and fixed features. If you want to run some alternative software for your database on a shared hosting platform like FreeBSD, SQL script, etc. then you need to buy a separate server solution like Cloud or Dedicated server for this because shared hosting server does not offer such kind of alternate.
Cloud Hosting is a type of hosting which allows your website to be hosted on multiple servers with all sharing resources. You can utilize a network of virtual machines rather than from a single one. Any other server didn’t affect your cloud server; likewise, your cloud hosting server also has no impact on other cloud servers. Your hosting website will be bouncing amongst multiple servers which can easily handle the spikes of traffic and other concerns.
Suppose in cloud hosting you are hiring an entire building in a town. Here are other buildings also in the same town utilizing mutual resources like healthcare, environmental protection, and college facility, etc. but they are not interlinked with each other.
How it is work?
Cloud hosting allows using the resources of multiple servers rather than your website powered by a single server.
Cloud Hosting extent their data through multiple servers, machines using the same resources. These multiple machines and servers are interlinked together to create one powerful virtual machine. Cloud hosting manages your all data through this virtual machine. Constantly this dominant virtual machine hosts a large number of websites and provides greater reliability and Scalability for enhancing your website performance.
Quick Comparison Between Shared and Cloud Hosting:
|Shared Hosting||Cloud Hosting|
|Performance||depend on the number of users on their server||High performance you are hiring the entire building which has multiple servers with vast resources|
|Pricing||Minimum cost because you are renting just a small portion of a server||Pricey than shared hosting|
|Customization||Fixed resources||The pool of resources on demand|
|Security||lack of control and limited security access||Complete control|
|Scalability||It differs from hosting provider companies to companies||great range of scalability because user allows enlarging their resources without any difficulty|
|Multiple Server||Single server||Multiple server pool resources together to create a single powerful virtual machine|
|Accessibility||Easily manage but Limited accessibility control over hosting setting||Managed according to your need and requirement of work|
|Technical issues||The hosting provider company must take care of all technical responsibilities||Technical issues are all under your responsibility|
|Uptime||Down anytime||High uptime because it effectively using the resources of multiple servers|
- Higher Performance:
With cloud hosting, you can easily manage the pressure of traffic and heavy data load on your website because in cloud hosting there is multiple servers instead of a single one. Besides cloud servers provide a blazing performance with vast server hardware and multiple server resources depending on your budget and needs.
- High Uptime:
Perhaps the biggest beauty of cloud hosting is the highest uptime. Even the inexpensive cloud server providers able to deliver 99.9% uptime making your website available most of the time.
Cloud Hosting has high uptime preferences as compared to a shared platform. Your site in cloud hosting will be effectively using the resources of multiple servers, if any of one server goes down your site will be transferred to another server with any hurdle.
- Greater Scalability:
Cloud hosting allows user to enlarge their resources without any difficulty. It provides a great range of scalability because in cloud hosting multiple servers pool resources together to work as one virtual machine. You are free to request an upgrade to your resources level but it’s depending on the spikes of traffic on your website. Even in most cases, companies do not require any prior permission before upgrading the resources.
- Good for Traffic spikes:
When spikes of your traffic jump up and down then is very difficult to find out the best host for your website. Luckily, with cloud servers, you are capable to handle any obstacles related to traffic. This hosting can easily scale your resources rise and down on as your needed base.
- Security Access:
The security related to cloud hosting is much better as compared to other hosting servers. Cloud Hosting provides big access to your data recovery preferences and anti-malware solutions.
- Costly: cloud hosting is more expensive as compare to shared hosting. However, thanks to the intense competition in the market now you can get cloud services at very affordable prices though not as cheap as shared.
- Technical Issues: In cloud Hosting maintenance of technical issues are all under your responsibility. Some companies do offer managed cloud services where they manage everything and their technical team takes care of your technical issue regards to the server 24/7. However, it will turn your cloud server solution into an expensive choice.