If you want to know how hitting dead-end feels like, then try accessing American Netflix in other countries. You can actually log in to your Netflix account at any time you like when traveling abroad. Yes, Netflix won’t block your access. However, what you’ll see on the Netflix library is different than what’s usually available in the US. Country regulations, geographical licenses, copyright control—these are why such a scenario happens.
The good news is that ways to watch the US only Netflix library from abroad now exist. There are two ways to do it. First, you can use virtual private networks (VPNs) to access any country’s library. Second, utilize another technology known as Smart DNS or DNS tunneling. Netflix will think your device is located in a different region instead of the one you’re actually in by taking both routes.
Why would you want to access the content of a US Netflix library from another country? The explanation for that is simple: the American version of Netflix is king in terms of the range of content available. Do you want to know how USA Netflix compares against the world? Check out this post: https://securitygladiators.com/us-netflix-best-vs-rest/. But, to learn how to watch US only Netflix content outside the US using VPNs and a different DNS address, read on below.
How To Access US Only Netflix Shows Using A VPN
As already mentioned, the first option is to use a reliable VPN service. This magical technology lets you hide your device’s IP address from websites so that they won’t know where you’re exactly located. A network of securely connected computers is behind a VPN’s magic. In such a network, all users can transfer data securely and safely.
If you want to watch American Netflix content in other countries, VPNs are the best way to do it. Of course, that’s assuming you find a VPN that works since Netflix has already banned some VPNs. It’s your responsibility to maintain not only Netflix terms and conditions, but also international and territorial laws.
It’s important to choose not only a VPN that works with Netflix, but also a reputable one. Note that Netflix blocks most free VPNs. However, the paid ones mostly still work. Here are the steps to take to access American Netflix from anywhere using a VPN:
- Install a reliable VPN and switch to it.
- Pick the country whose library you want to browse (e.g., US Netflix library) in the VPN.
- Go to the Netflix website or open Netflix’s official app and enjoy the US Netflix catalog.
How To Use The DNS Address To Access US Only Netflix
There’s a generally successful, but slightly trickier method of getting access to US Netflix aside from using a VPN. It’s called a DNS address, and it’s perfect for you if a free VPN failed you, and you also don’t want to spend money on a paid service. However, note that changing the DNS address is for people who consider themselves tech-savvy. It’s not the option for beginners.
Google is your friend when finding a functional US DNS code. In the Google search results, you’ll see a list of websites containing various addresses that you can try. Find and write down a DNS from the US, then try it out.
Here’s how to change DNS on a PC running on Windows 10 OS:
- Right-click on the Wi-Fi icon in your computer’s taskbar once you already have a DNS address. Then, click on the button ‘Open Network and Internet Settings.’
- Select ‘Change Adapter Settings.’
- If you’re using a wired connection, right-click on ‘Local Area Connection,’ then choose ‘Properties.’ If you’re using a wireless connection, right-click on ‘Wireless Connection,’ then select ‘Properties.’
- Pick ‘Internet Protocol Version 4’ that appears on the screen and click ‘Properties.’
- Restart your PC after you enter the DNS address.
Here’s how changing the DNS address on a Mac works:
- Click the Apple logo in your computer’s menu bar once you have the DNS address, then open ‘System Preferences.’
- Click the ‘Network’ icon.
- Select your active connection (either Wi-Fi or Ethernet) and click on ‘Advanced.’
- Add a new DNS address by navigating to the DNS tab and clicking the ‘+’ button you’ll find under the DNS Servers box.
- Enter the DNS address you plan to use, then select it and click ‘OK’. Restarting your computer isn’t necessary, but feel free to do so.
Compared to using VPNs, you’ll still have limited options if you opt to use a Smart DNS to watch US only Netflix shows. A Smart DNS, however, is faster than a VPN. Right now, the recommended way to access the US Netflix library from a different country is to pay for a good VPN, unless you have other reasons apart from watching Netflix shows to spend money on Smart DNS Proxy.