Conducting apartment maintenance is very important. It prevents unwanted expenses during the time of the leasing period. Another purpose of apartment maintenance is to make sure the living conditions of the apartment.
Moreover, it also prevents accidents if there was any problem with the apartment conditions. Therefore, we should have a checklist that will provide an overall idea of maintenance. In this article, we will be discussing the apartment maintenance checklist for everybody.
A mandatory apartment checklist for your home repair
Your main priority should be providing yourself with a safe and healthy environment. According to the experts, the maintenance task should be done at least 2 times a year.
Check your lease agreement
Checking your lease agreement is the 1st point of the apartment maintenance checklist for everybody. As you know, not every landlord and leasing company is not the same. You may be responsible for keeping a few things safe in the apartment.
So, before conducting apartment maintenance, make sure you check your lease agreements whether you are responsible for the task or not.
- Replacement of light bulbs
- Cleaning of the dryer vent
- Replacement of air filters
- Maintaining special equipment
- Arrangement for disposal of garbage
- Cutting the grass and removing the waste from the yard
Note that, it doesn’t matter you are responsible or not. Let your landlord know if there is any damage to your apartment.
Walls and paints
Don’t forget to check the walls and paints in your apartment. This is also one of the critical points of the apartment maintenance checklist for everybody. Make sure you fill all the nail holes in your drywall. If there is more damage in your drywall like doorknob hole and moisture damage you will need drywall patch tools. The drywall path tools are very easy to use.
When it comes to painting on walls, there is no problem for most of the landlords. But as I said, not all the landlords are the same. If you have painted on walls as you wanted to make sure you return the landlord in a previous situation.
Porches and decks
Porches and deck should bechecked because if you leave the porch and decks ignored, they can easily fall in disrepair. That’s why porches and decks are also one of the crucial points of the apartment maintenance.
If your landlord can find any damage in the porch and deck, there is a chance to get stuck with an extra bill. So, make sure you check them periodically.
- Search for loose wood on the rails or the foundation frame of your porch.
- Notify your landlord of any damage as early as possible.
- Check the banisters, railings, and spindles at the base for rot.
If you find out any damage and if you are responsible for the damage, make sure you fix them. It is not possible to fix the problem if there is any. You need to hire a professional to fix the problem.
The door is also one of the key points of the apartment maintenance checklist for everybody. Each door should be work okay. If there is any broken or malfunctioning door, that means it can be the reason for few more expanses.
The following tips will be helpful to prevent door malfunction.
- Check for any damage to the door and make sure it’s working properly
- Make sure the chain lock is secured and working properly
- Make sure the door sweepers are working fine
- Inspect for the deadbolts and make sure it is working without problem
- To make sure everything is in working order, check the weather stripping
Your windows may be broken after using them over the years. That’s why windows are also the main key points of the apartment maintenance checklist for everybody. Make sure you fix all the broken windows.
If you find any issues with the windows such as broken glass or foggy double pane windows, make sure you contact the landlord as soon as you notice them.
You should check for the lease agreement once again. You may be responsible for any issues with windows. Fixing windows glass is not easy. You can’t do it by yourself. To fix the broken windows or broken glass, you need to hire a professional.
Floor and carpets
Yes, it is your responsibility to keep your floor and carpets clean. The floor and carpets last longer for more than 5 to 8 years. Most landlords take the responsibility to replace the carpets or clean them after each tenant moves out.
If you are the new tenant in that apartment, it is your responsibility to keep the carpet and floor clean. Make sure you keep the floor and carpet clean.
To keep the garbage disposal in properly working conditions, the following tips will be helpful.
- Don’t put potato peels into the garbage disposal, and it can easily block the pips
- Don’t put fibre type vegetable wastage into garbage disposal because fibre type vegetables can also block the pipe
- Avoid putting bones in the garbage disposal
- Don’t put fruit seeds and pills
- Make sure you don’t put eggshell in the garbage disposal
Oven and refrigerator
I am sure that your landlord is going to overlook the conditions of the oven and fridge. It would be best if you put extra care into these types of things. If you are planning to move to another place, make sure you follow the below tips.
- Make sure you clean your over deeply. To clean your oven use baking soda or vinegar
- Do cleaning the refrigerator twice a month
- Make sure you defrost the freezer and don’t leave any food in the refrigerator.
As I said before, not all the landlords are the same. Most landlords are very strict about maintaining apartments. If you are the renter, it is your responsibility to keep everything properly.
Yes, it is indeed hard to maintain everything. Make sure you contact your landlord if you see any damages in the apartment. In this article, I have discussed the apartment maintenance checklist for everybody to maintain your residencecorrectly.